Thread: Foul Shot
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS,
Rules book. Pg 49. 8-1-c. Following a violation by one or by both teams, if that team(s) continue to delay it is a technical foul.

Case book. Pg 57. 8.1.1 situation B: B1 fouls A1 during an unsuccessful try for goal. The calling official has properly reported the foul & is in position for the free throws. The administering official has given all instructions & signals. Team B is properly occupying the required spaces, but 3 teammates of A1 are huddling inside the lane. (this is what happened to me; coach called them to the side of the floor for an extra quick TO). Ruling: Team A is warned for delay, the scorer records it & it is reported to the head coach. If Team A delays similarly thereafter in the game, a technical foul shall be charged.

I cannot find any ruling about player/team/bench or direct/indirect application of the T.

What did I do in my game?? Nothing, because the coach of the free thrower never complained and both teams vacated the lane. The first free throw looked like the first of a T. Both teams got at least two players respectively in the lane positions for the 2nd free throw. This was during a very heated, no-love-loss, nearby town game. It was a middle school game. My partner was not an "association" official. I think I was the only one in the gym who knew the difference until I told my partner that the opponent was in the wrong but I was not sure of the penalty so I let it go. I later told the violating coach that he was in the wrong. Now that I know the correct penalty I will enforced the rule when (not if) it happens again. I'm sure it will happen again.