View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 31, 2000, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PeteBooth
I posted this topic on another Forum but there are different umpires who solicit this Board so I though I would post here as well.

I read an article in referee magazine concerning umpire ethics and I believe the overriding theme was : Do you send Messages?

+++++++++++++
Pete:

I've written on this subject before. The neo-romantic umpire always objects to an umpire who "sends a message." By the way: It's proper name is the FYC.

In professional ball it has been around since 1876. I have never spoken to a professional umpire who did not sanction its use.

Years ago (June 1985) I wrote: "On October 19, 1982, Lonnie Smith of the Cardinals tried to steal home in the sixth game of the World Series. The caption in Sports Illustrated is: 'Ump said out, but the camera said 'Safe.' I'm sure you remember the 'rumor' that went around: Smith had hotdogged it in the previous game, telling umpire Bill Haller that he, Smith, should have been called out on strikes instead of drawing a walk. Smith's fate may have been sealed as he trotted down to first. I'm not implying that a professional umpire crew would stoop to such low levels. (The crew flatly denied doing os, amind a few grins and winks.) I'm merely saying I so stoop."

The point is simple: When dealing with the big boys, you can (1) "follow the letter of the law"; or (2) you can "umpire the game." By far the better choice is number two.

Stick to your guns, Pete. Adult players are like the Missouri mules: You must sometimes get their attention. In the long run coaches always prefer the FYC to an ejection. I have had coaches ask me to send a message to one of his players.

As for "drawing a line": When that happens, tell the kid to draw the next line in front of the door to his bus (if he's a visitor). Naturally, if he's a member of the home team, you don't do anything. As someone on another Board says: "We have to let the coach's wishes decide what we call." (little grin here)

BTW: Pete, you suggestion about eUmpire having nation-wide clinics is still in the works.

[Edited by Carl Childress on Oct 31st, 2000 at 06:24 AM]