View Single Post
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 06:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
my two cents worth...after you talked to the kid the first time about entering the game, a simple comment to the coach like: "coach - can you help me w/ #12? he simply runs into the game before he's called. i've talked w/ him about it, but i'm not sure he gets it. thanks!"

when you tell the coach each time you have to warn a player about something important, it gives you 3 big benefits: 1) you get the coach to help you stop whatever the issue is (you're working together); 2) the coach sees you warning his players rather than whacking 'em right away; and 3) you're communicating w/ the coach (which they always like) in a non-argumentative/confrontational way

now, when you have to penalize the next time, the coach already knows this is an issue and probably won't be surprised when you assess the T. his frustration will be directed at the player ("not only did the ref tell you about that, but I did too!").

just a thought...
I'm all for doing this, but I'm not going to let a coach think the warning is required. Any level above this, and there's not going to be a warning at all, even to the player.

In all honesty, my response to the coach when he complained that I hadn't warned him would have been, "Coach, the warning to your player was a courtesy not required by rule."