View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Good point, Jeff. I was actually thinking of abuse, more than just "having their say". If a fan yells out "You suck!" or curses, and you know who it was, I wouldn't have a problem asking security, a police officer, the AD, or the home coach to remove the spectator. That's what I was trying to say. Paying your $2 doesn't entitle you to abuse officials or taunt players.

Chuck
I had this situation last night (afternoon) in a MS G/B doubleheader. The girls game was a blow out. Yet some fan, at least I am assuming, kept saying something EVERYTIME down the floor. He never used profanity, unless you call Crap and Friggin profanity, but he was louder then anyone else in the gym and getting very annoying more and more brash in his statements. At the end of the 3rd we were in a free throw situation and he kept going on and on how we were not giving "his" team a fair shake with the fouls, and that this game was a little to "fast pace" for me and I he didn't think I was "up to speed" on all the rules. (3 seconds and "over" the back particularly) SO before the lead (his 3rd game EVER) administered the free throw I blow my whistle turn my head to the side and say "Sir, if you want to stay, you are going to have to settle down." He gave me the "I paid my two dollars.." spiel and I just repeated what I said and he said " YOu are doing a good job I am just trying to help you out." I said "Thank you for the offer, but I don't need any help, but we do have openings in our association for next season if you are interested". And the FT's are shot and off we go. He was a little testy for awhile, but that was it. I did notice that several school officials (visiting team) were sitting around him during the boys game however.