View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 22, 2010, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
In this situation, the defense is much better off announcing their intention to appeal before tagging her. If the defense tags the runner sliding into third and immediately alertly announces that they weren't putting her out but appealing, would you allow it as an appeal?
No, you must allow all runners to complete their responsibilities prior to making any awards or appeals during a dead ball

Quote:
That's somewhat out there I know, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around what it would take to turn this into an appeal play. Every other fielder yelling, "she left early; throw to second," then the third baseman tags her?
The only way would be a live ball appeal and even then, that would kill the play. You would then announce the OBS and then call the runner out on the appeal.

This is a real simple rule, don't try to out think it 'cause that will get you nothing, but trouble.

On another board, I have people (okay, so they aren't people, just coaches and parents ) constantly stating how umpires do not understand OBS. That they will never call it unless there is contact and rarely, if ever, award bases beyond those between which the runner was obstructed. I tell them they must have some pretty dumb umpires in whatever area they live, because this is the second easiest rule in the book behind the infield fly. I believe that and if you (generic, not referring to youngump) are one of those umpires, please stay away from my field