View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 22, 2010, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
By the sounds of the college rule. If a player is just dribbling the clock out and there was supposed to be a 1 second differential and the officials don't hit their whistle or "recognize" it I guess I should say, and the game clocks runs to zeros then the game would be over????
It is not about recognizing it....they must, if there is any doubt, wait to see if it hits the rim or not. And once it misses the rim, the subsequent whistle stops the game clock...no backing up.

It is about when the violation is defined to have occurred.

In the NBA, the violation is effectively defined to have occured when the horn sounds if an airborne try doesn't subsequently hit the rim....and the clock is brought back to the point of the violation.

In the NCAA, the violation is defined to occur the when the ball misses the rim....not when the horn sounds....and the clock remains.

Quote:
To me and the background with which I've been taught, this doesn't make sense to me to allow a team more than their allotted time in a possession.
The question that you need to ask is what are they supposed to do within that alloted time? And what constitutes the "time"?

In the NCAA, the team has 35 seconds to release a try that ultimately hits the rim.

In the NBA, the team has 24 seconds to hit the rim.

Neither is more sensible than the other, just different.

You could ask the same question about why the throwin count stops on the release versus when the backcourt count stops on a pass to the frontcourt.

Quote:
Is it possible that the NCAA uses this rule so that officials don't have to worry about knowing the time of possessions and also so they don't have to worry about resetting the clock to its appropriate time? It just makes it easier on the refs? I mean this in hopes of getting an honest answer, as I am not trying to be condescending as it sounds...
Most shot clock periods start while the game clock is running. It isn't really that easy to "know" the precise difference between the two without looking at the video or watching the clock when the shot clock buzzer sounds when we're talking about making adjustments that could be as precise as a few tenths of a second.

NBA has had video a bit longer than NCAA. In fact, I'd bet that of ALL the NCAA schools, courtside video is more uncommon than common.