View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 18, 2010, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
I appreciate the comments!

I had it in the back of my mind he was trying to work me, which is why I did consider ejecting him at the time. The whole point of the matter is that in the two games I have him this year he has been out on me 4 times, with a quiet manner, but it is over simple stuff he disagreed with, like a runner running out his baseline, or why my partner didn't throw someone out, etc.

I just got tired of the act, when he's the only guy who has come out on me all year. I'm not just missing calls in his games to cheat him.

Will try and forget it, and move on.
JK, as you know, working you is not illegal. And it can succeed only with your cooperation and complicity.

It sounds like you handled it correctly until you let him "get to" you. When he asks a question, answer it calmly, as you did. If he persists or repeats himself, tell him that you've answered his questions and now it's time to play ball.

Rather than raise your voice ("YES HE DID" -- you're now arguing with him, which is a loss of control), simply tell the coach, "In my judgment, the runner did not leave early. Now let's play ball." This statement keeps control, since your judgment is the only one that counts, and there's no arguing with it.

He'll try to get the last word in. Let him have it: he's leaving the field and you win by going on with the game. The "last word" means nothing unless you invest it with meaning, in which case he wins. Of course, if the last word is obviously over the line, he has to go; but otherwise, who cares?