View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 17, 2010, 03:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC Coach View Post
Team A made a shot and team B quickly inbounded the ball. Team B threw the ball to half court, where one its players was waiting for the pass in his frontcourt. He bobbled the pass and the ball ended up going back into his backcourt without that player ever establishing possession. One of his teammates who was still in the backcourt picked up the loose ball and dribbled it into the frontcourt. I didn't call anything on the play and just let the game continue (the game was a blowout, so no real damage was done if I was wrong). Was this a backcourt violation...or...because no actual possession was made in the frontcourt, did I make the right call? Any help is appreciated.
Who threw the ball to half court? I see two possibilities based on what you didn't write above.
1. B1 (OOB) makes a throw-in pass to B2, standing in his frontcourt, who does not catch the ball and it deflects into the backcourt.
2. B1 (OOB) makes a throw-in pass to B2, standing in the BC near the end line from which B1 threw his pass. B2 catches the pass, then turns and throws the ball to B3, standing in the FC, who does not catch the ball but deflects it into the BC.

In both cases, B4 is the first player to touch the ball after it goes into the BC.

#1 is not a violation, as team control was never established with the ball having FC status.
#2 is a violation, as team control was established prior to and continuously through the ball gaining FC status (when it deflected off of B2).