View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 15, 2010, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I was curious about this, so I did some reading this morning.

4-2-4 states that state associations can determine how games are to end. In the absence of such procedures, mutual agreement of the coaches and the UIC can be used to shorten games.

There is specific language in the Wisconsin Adaptations to the NFHS rules on how a game is to end. Not much, here it is:

Ten Run Rule: The game shall end when the visiting team is behind 10 or more runs after 4 1/2 innings, or after the fifth inning if either team is 10 runs behind and both teams have had an equal number of times at bat. The ten run provision shall be used in the WIAA tournament series.
If a game is called prior to the completion of any full inning, NFHS Rule 4-2-3 will be applied.

By rule, if the losing team forfeits before it's a regulation game, it goes into the books as a 7-0 forfeit. None of the stats will count, I assume. Not that I care.
Rich, if WIAA specifies that the mercy rule is the ONLY way to end a game in fewer than 7 innings -- that is, if the coaches cannot get together and agree to stop -- then I think you're right: this would be a forfeit.

However, according to 4-5, a forfeit is scored 7-0 only when the forfeiting team is winning. So I think score and all of the stats should remain intact for this one.