View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 07, 2010, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggravy View Post
Bad call adds to Cubs' Opening Day woes | cubs.com: News

Interesting catch/no catch. To me watching the full speed replay it looked like an obvious no catch. One thing I was taught is to watch the player go into the glove for the ball. It looked pretty clear he did not reach into the glove. Granted, the TV had a different angle than anyone on field level. This isn't a fan boy thing before anyone says anything. I just think it's an interesting play and I've watched it over and over since this is something I don't want to have happen to me.

Another interesting thing, more on a psychological level, is what about the huge jumbotrons? I'm not advocating instant replay, actually I'm against it. I just think it would suck to be on the field, not be allowed to look at that 80' monitor, and then be able to tell from the crowd reaction that you kicked the call.

I didn't think it was obvious from the full-speed replay. The ball definitely came out of the glove, but I thought initially McClouth may have grabbed it in mid-air. There really was no hesitation on his part during the whole play.

Also, it was in the deepest part of left-center field and this would have been U3s call and from where he would have had to make that call, you really can't get a good look at it.

On the note of the jumbo-trons, they should use some discretion when showing the replays. The goal is not to turn the crowd against the umpires or embarrass them (though that didn't happen in this case because the call went against the visiting team). The missed call by U3 on the rundown in the ALCS last year comes to mind....