Thread: Clark Kellogg
View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 06, 2010, 10:01am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
In a field where announcers often get rules wrong, I've always found Clark Kellogg refreshingly correct with his analysis. He's one of the few that I've heard use correct phrases, such as "legal guarding position" and "ON the back." (He won me over when he correctly pointed out that "over the back" is not a foul.)

That said, I cringed a bit after Duke's Scheyer drew a charge. I believe the official had it right, as LGP was clear before contact. Kellogg disagreed, saying that Scheyer went "into the path" of the dribbler. Kellogg used this "into the path" phrase later that night, too.

Before I go off and opine how such myths make our jobs tougher, I should appeal to the veterans of this forum. Is there anything in the NCAA rules that says it's a blocking foul if you go "into the path" of a dribbler? (Aside, of course, from when a shooter goes airborne, at which point LGP cannot be established.)
Personally, I thought there was a charge that was a horrible call. I don't know if it's the same one you're talking about as the player clearly wasn't a dribbler when it happened.

The shooter was already airborne and the Duke defender subsequently slid sideways to draw contact in the torso. I thought that was a no-brainer block that, for whatever reason, got missed.