View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 11:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
Actually, the coach was not a big problem (though my post makes it sound like it)- he accepted my explanation.

I am still learning this whole patient whistle thing, and it is improving my game.

Sometimes, patient whistle means calling something incidental because you can see how it is going to turn out. Other times, patient whistle means a delayed call while you wait to see how it turns out. I am still working on when each one is right.
Several years ago, in my first ever varsity game, I had a play near the division line in which A1 (with the ball) was bumped by B1. I waited, A1 wobbled, I waited, A1 stepped illegally. I called the foul. It took just a couple of seconds, but by the time I called the foul, B1 was about 10 feet away. I'd do it again the same way.

The most common one is your scenario, where the bump does absolutely nothing and if you call it, you're taking away a layup. I've made the call and taken crap from the coach for taking his layup away. I've passed on the call and taken crap only to have the coach agree with me when I told him why I passed on the contact.