View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 26, 2010, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Then I'd say your 2nd free throw was the erroneous one; although I'd likely allow the coach to keep all three and simply not give the last free throw.

If you give him all 4, and he make the first two and misses the 2nd two, they lose a point, IMO. This one would suck, IMO.
I agree. Had there been a different shooter for the T free throws, it would have been really obvious which was the erroneous free throw. That the same shooter shot both sets of free throws doesn't change that. So if we had shot the fourth, we would have had to wipe off the second to correct the error.

Ultimately we awarded the correct total number of free throws, and the right player shot each at the correct basket. Any argument that we still committed a CE (and the only such argument may be coming from one of the voices in my own head) is rooted in the premise that the details of administering official's mental bookkeeping, which columns he records each free throw under, matter more than the bottom line. However, the weight his mental accounting carries probably increases directly in proportion to how widely he communicated the details. IOW, if everybody in the building heard him tell the shooter that he had two free throws for the first foul, then the bottom line argument becomes less compelling.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Fri Mar 26, 2010 at 11:55am.