View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 25, 2010, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillblind View Post
18:09 remaining in 1st. Xavier brings the ball across midcourt and makes pass parallel to midcourt line. K-State deflects the cross court pass, hitting the ball down (ball strikes front court and heads toward Xaviers back court). Xavier is first to touch the ball approximately 7' into there backcourt. The ball didn't touch the backcourt prior to the touch.
Clearly a backcourt according to NFHS. I made this call numerous times this year, even though 75% of the fans, 50% of the coaches and usually 33% of the refs on the floor disagreed with me. I am now convinced that this is the number 1 missed call in all of basketball. (Isn't the NCAA rule the same as NFHS?)
I'm not sure if that meets the requirements for a backcourt. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. And I know NFHS issued that one interpretation on a backcourt play that many feel does not follow stated rule.

1. Team control-check there was team control
2. Ball had frontcourt status-check
3. Offense was last to touch the ball in the frontcourt-Kansas State was last to touch the ball in the frontcourt
4. Offense is first to touch the ball after the ball achieved a backcourt status

I do agree that last to touch-first to touch backcourt violation is a call that too many officials do not understand and forget about players/coaches understanding it.