View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 11:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
1) But even if you are correct, I contend it is better to change the call and be wrong than it is to stay with a wrong call when someone came in. In the former, I can always say something like, "coach, I came in based on what I saw that I was sure about but unfortunately missed a small important detail." In other words, "coach, we missed it, after making a big effort to get it right."

2) In the latter, you are basically left with saying something to the effect of, "coach, I decided to stay with a wrong call even though he had it correct and tried to convince me." In other words, "my ego is more important than getting the call right." Like it or not, that's exactly what it says when you don't change a call when your partner comes in.

1) Change the "we" to "I". You're the one responsible for screwing up the call, not your partner(s). If you want to be the one to change a correct call, you had better be be ready to take the sole blame.

2) That's ridiculous. No real official would ever dream of making a nonsensical statement like that to any coach. Or at least I hope that they wouldn't.

Let the official who is responsible for making the call make the call. It's only been that way...oh...forever....and for very good reasons. If we can't trust each other, who can we trust? If a coach does ask what the conference was about(and he'll have to ask because if the conference was done properly...quietly and with no signals given...he won't really be sure what you were discussing), you simply say "We were just making sure we got the play right". End of discussion.

Disagree completely with your association's local mechanic.