Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
"
Quote:
Case Book 7.3.5 Situation F
Quote:
:

Situation: With R1 on third, one out and two strikes on B3, B3 swings and misses the pitch. The ball bounces off F2’s glove into the air, where it is hit by B3’s follow-through. The ball rolls to the back stop. B3 reaches first base safely and R1 scores.

Ruling: The ball is dead immediately. B3 is out for interference and R1 returns to third base. A batter is entitled to an uninterrupted opportunity to hit the ball, just as the catcher is entitled to an uninterrupted opportunity to field the ball. Once the batter swings, he is responsible for his follow-through.

Okay, I admit I am confused on this one because it flies in the face of logic (my logic, so obviously it is failed logic). There is nothing intentional being done.

F2 had a chance to field the strike originally. It seems we are rewarding the defense when they erred.

So, is this the same at the NCAA and OBR level?

I am quite upside down on this one.
T
Tee as others mentioned there is no such animal as "weak interference" in FED, hence the penalty per the case play.

However, in this particular play the results are the same. B3 is out and R3 returned to 3rd base.

A little twist
The count was 1-1

In OBR the call would be

1. TIME
2. The count is now 1-2
3. R3 returned to 3rd base.

I think JR was one of the first to coin the phrase weak interference which as mentioned is NOT in any of the FED interps.

If you have "connections" to the FED perhaps you can "sway them" to adopt the weak interference call.

Pete Booth