Thread: 4th Out Appeal
View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

FED has made it clear that the outcome of a play should not hinge on a coach or player not knowing the rules. Hence, with catcher's obstruction -- where the offense might have a choice of taking the obstruction or the play -- we're to bring that choice to the attention of the coach. This mechanic is different from OBR, where we enforce the catcher's "interference" penalty unless the coach requests the play.

So in a FED game, I am going to apprise the coach of the reason for the run scoring, and probably in time for him to appeal R3 leaving early. Otherwise, the offense benefits from a baserunning error solely because the coach didn't know the rule about when runs score.

I'm not sure I follow your last question: it seems to be about dead ball verbal appeals. Yes, the defense can appeal verbally when the ball is dead; but such appeals are still limited by whether the defense is on the field. Once they've left the field, no further appeals can be granted for that half inning.

By "defense leaving the field," I mean the pitcher and infielders (see PENALTY 8-2, 1-5).