View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jalons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone12 View Post
MS game playing by NFHS rules...

A1 shoots and is fouled by B1, ball does not go through hoop, ends up in the hands of A1. While I am reporting A1 bats the ball into the back of B1's head. I call a technical on A1. This is very similar to the case book p84, 10.3.7.

We clear the lane, A1 shoots two FT's, then team B player shoots two and gets the ball at the division line. Team A coach puts a sub in for A1. We play ball.

I think I got a couple things wrong:

1. Ball should have been put in play at the spot nearest the foul (false double-foul). I thought I saw this in the book earlier, now I can't find it.

2. Another official told me that a dead-ball technical foul is automatically a flagrant foul. I can't find this in the book. I do see that 4.19.5c says that a technical foul can be intentional or flagrant while the ball is dead. This tells me that based on what I enforced I called an intentional technical foul.

Thoughts on ball placement, flagrant vs intentional, other?

Thanks,
1. Administer the fouls in the order they occur. A1 shoots 2 shots for the shooting foul. Then any eligible member of Team B shoots 2 free throws for the technical. Play is resumed with a throw-in by Team B at half-court.

2. Another official is wrong. This foul could be a player technical or a flagrant player technical. This situation is a HTBT. That is why you make the big bucks.