View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 08, 2010, 05:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoBCat View Post
Indiana HS game, 6.9 seconds left. trailing team cuts it to one and requests a time-out they do not have. Refs ignore request. almost 5 seconds go off clock and leading team inbounds and is fouled with 2.2.

A poster on another board and I are arguing this one. I keep saying the coach can only request the time out and if the refs judgement is that you don't have any to use and the other team would be put at a disadvantage if they granted it and T'd up the requesting team, thus stopping the clock, then there is no obligation to grant the request.

Help me settle this one please.
2001-2002 NFHS Basketball Interpretations

SITUATION 12: Team A has used all allotted time-outs. The scorer notifies the referee, who properly advises the Team A coach at the beginning of Team A’s last called time-out. During play later in the game, A4 attempts to call time-out when he/she is being pressured by B2 and 83. U2 ignores the request by A4. RULING: U2 should honor the request of A4, even when this would be a time-out in excess of the number allotted. Game officials do not have discretionary authority to assist players in avoiding rules violations. (2-7-6; 5-12-2)