View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 07, 2010, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
it's my opinion that 99% of the time, the problems that arise in games are the result of officials not blowing the whistle enough....the games that get out of control, the crazy sitautions that occur, and the resulting phone calls from assignors is becuase the officials didn't blow the whistle enough earlier in the game.

"blow the whistle and the players will adjust." - Hank Nichols (former NCAA Coordinator of Division 1 Men's Basketball Officials)

I guess I would flip what you're saying and say that 1% of the time it could be the officials fault. My thought is that the quote your referring to is talking about fouls other than the stuff we would call t's. There was nothing in the game I was working that would have led you to believe that A1 would fall down, get frustrated and slap the girls leg. If a kid "decides" to act out with something they know will get them a tech then that's their fault. Kids know better and know that if they shove another player during a dead ball that it will be a tech. Even if they themselves had just got shoved they know that if they respond it will be called. The kids are responsible for their behavior. Not us. But I need to hear all this because I could be off base with my thinking and don't want to stay there if I am. That's part of why I posted as I'm still learning. What do you think? Respectfully submitted.