View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
and the casebook and why a rule is what it is not just the black and white hard fast rules. If all officials did that IF would be called every time a receiver did not get inside the 9s. Instead the officials just decide when it is a foul based on personal beliefs. Not what the NFHS wants called. IF the rule book was followed, any time a player participated with an illegal adornment, there would be a flag. Yeah, it is all about the rules!
John, you finally seem to be getting it. The rules are established as guidlines which are DELIBERATELY left up to the good judgment of field officials to apply as circumstances dictate for the betterment of the game. If all the rules were applied exactly as written on every play, everywhere, football would have ceased to be a worthwile endeavor 50 years ago.

Glad you brought up this ridiculous "uniform adornment" problem. Is there any conceivable reason why any coach, anywhere, cannot absolutely control what his players wear out onto the field during a game? It makes no sense to me why a competent coach would EVER allow a player to exit the locker room wearing any of the nonsense that's currently prohibited, much less actually permit a player to enter a game like that.

Then again, I try and understand how difficult it often is to monitor 40+ teenagers, who think they have all the answers and get to decide how things will be done, regardless of rules and try to be of whatever assistance I might be in dealing with all the stupid stuff, as inoccuously as possible, keeping things in relative perspective, rather than adding to the confusion.

In the final analysis, both officials and coaches, have different supervisory roles associated with a competitive, very physical, student exercise program and we both share the same objectives; that of seeing the contest conducted and concluded fairly, by appropriately prepared student athletes so that none of the participants get hurt or have a bad experience.

Last edited by ajmc; Tue Feb 23, 2010 at 03:37pm.