View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Logic of division line throw in after technical

Ok y'all,

I understand the mechanics and the rule but what I don’t understand is the logic behind the following scenario and I’m hoping someone will come up with something that helps me to understand. I'm not grumpin' here but rather, would like to be able to explain it if asked...

Elementary game, home team is down by one with 3 seconds left, throw in under home’s basket. Ball is at H1’s disposal, V1 reaches across the line and slaps the ball out of H1’s hand. The technical foul is assessed, two free throws (both missed) and the home team is awarded the ball at the division line. They inbound, try to work it around, and take a desperation shot from three feet behind the top of the key. They lose by one. They had the ball underneath before the technical and afterward had it forty feet away from the bucket, seemingly a disadvantage in elementary basketball. I understand that ALL technical fouls are put in play at the division line. The question here is why? Especially since the home team in this situation was moved farther away from the basket. Does the defense not gain an advantage by moving the offense away from the basket, considering that elementary free throw percentages are in the twenties? Any thoughts?