Thread: Who ReJumps?
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 12:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJ View Post
I guess I don't see where I'm wrong. Both are based on the rule 7-3-2. Where in the rule book is the held ball situation as presented defined? I don't think it explicitly states it except in 7-3-2 as I posted.

Either way, both have ultimately given the OP a correct ruling on the play in question. I'm fine with that.
Rule 7-3-2 tells us what to call if the ball is simultaneously touched and then goes OOB(as in rule 7-3-1) and the AP procedure is not yet established.

The situation being discussed in the original post was a completely different situation that the one outlined in 7-3-1. The situation being discussed was dual possession after a jump ball without the ball going OOB, and also with no AP procedure being set yet.

Apples and oranges....and 2 completely different situations.

Both situations are handled the exact same way but each different situation also has a different rule citation to back up their respective calls.

You got the call right but the rule citation that you used was wrong iow. You used a rule citation that is valid for a completely different situation. That's all that was being pointed out.

The correct rules citation for what to do for a held ball off an an opening jump ball as discussed in the original post is rule 6-4-3(a)NOTE, not rule 7-3-2.....even though they both have the exact same result.

No biggie anyway. I think the idea has been gotten across already anyway.

EDIT: or as what Snaqs said...