View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
it's possible that a player innocently taped up a loose knob thinking it's fine to do so. I think they make those rules to limit legal liability of us umpires, assuming, tape = hiding something underneath. even if we ask players to remove the original manufacturers grip, which a good bat doctor would put back undetectable, do most umpires really know what is underneath? most doctoring occurs thru the endcap anyways.

umpiring is always done with judgment, not void of it. why don't you ask questions? last year, knobcuffs where illegal. this year, it's all good. someone asked some questions, hence the change.
I don't believe that an association would write a rule intended to keep the "big, bad umpire" from abusing their power and strip search players' bats. If they're worried about umpires abusing their powers in this fashion, they'd get them the hell off of the field and find someone with a little more common sense.

ASA drew the line in the sand with respect to taping the safety knob. It's allowed.

And yes, I have a pretty good idea what's underneath a stock grip. Varies from model to model.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.