View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
JM - on your first play, i suppose they want F2 protected. Just the way the question is worded makes me wonder where the contact happened.

"The bunted ball is near home plate. As the catcher moves out to catch the pop up, the batter unintentionally bumps the catcher causing him to drop the pop up. The umpire believes the catcher would have had a chance to double-up R1 if he had not dropped the ball."

If the contact is occuring "as the catcher moves out" I don't see how we have anything and I agree with your answer choice. But then we are led to believe that F2 had settled under the ball, because the bump caused him to drop the ball. If he had settled under it, I suppose 8.05e is the only thing you have left to enforce. Double play.

Its really a poorly written question that does not accurately describe the situation where 8.05e comes into play. As I read it, I had (a) as well. As TTS said, I suppose the author wanted F2 settled under the ball ready to make the play. He did a poor job of letting the test-taker know that.

----

Per your 2nd problem, (a) would be a much better choice if it read "error in judgement" since that is what it is getting at. I suppose by the answer they give, In the judgement of U3 the move was made before the break for 2nd.

In practicality, if I was U1, I'd ask U3

"why did you have a balk?"
"throw to an unoccupied base"
"did you have the move before the break to 2nd?"
"yes".

Ok then, (a) would be the correct answer. Certainly can't reverse that.

If he said something like... "he was stealing 2nd?" or "doesn't matter", then we would use (c). That is either an umpire without all the information or a clear rules misapplication.

Of course, the test question doesn't give you why the calling umpire called a balk, if he had all the info, and if he properly applied the rules to what his judgement was, so its another poorly written question.

----

All in all, I wouldn't sweat it much JM. I don't think you missed a beat on either of your answers.