View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 07:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Timeout, My Hand Fell Asleep ...

Saturday. Boys varsity. My partner is preparing to administer a throwin when the table sounds the horn for substitutes. I'm right near the table, in front of the Team A bench. I hold up my hand to prevent my partner from handing the ball to the player for the throwin and I beckon the substitutes. Several substitutes enter the game, and several come out. My hand is still up as I do a quick count. Good thing because I count six Team A players on the court, so I keep my hand up. I wait several seconds for the extra player to leave the court, but the players don't seem to know who should come out. My hand is still up. The Team A coach is right behind me, so I tell him, "Can't play with six". He looks around trying to decide who should come out. My hand is still up. Now the Team B coach figures out that there are six opponents on the court, and yells to me, "Isn't that technical foul?". I respond, "Only if my partner hands the throwin player the ball". My hand is still up. Finally, the Team A coach yanks one of his players, my hand comes down, finally, my partner administers the throwin, and we play ball.

What is the difference between preventative officiating and coaching? How long should I, or could I, have waited?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)