View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

and we wonder what has happened to sportsmanship. . .

I looked at the videos you linked us to, and one thing is obvious to me. This is going to be difficult, and perhaps even offensive for you to hear, but it is true. You, and parents like you, are why kids in high school athletics have little or no concept of sportsmanship.

What in the world are you thinking? Moving pick???? Are you SERIOUS???? In the first video, the dribbler loses the basketball, and then secures it while on her knees on the floor, and we can hear you yelling about a moving pick in the background. Assuming, for the sake of argument, that it really WAS a moving pick, did it work? Was the girl who was on her knees given some sort of advanatage by virtue of the alleged moving pick?

I next moved on to the "double pick" video. There are two girls who are trying to set a pick. I can see no contact whatsoever as a result, so in answer to your question, there is no foul. But that is the least of our concerns here. I couldn't bring myself to look at the other clips, but I'm sure they are more of the same.

As you sit in the stands yelling at the teenagers who are trying to officiate something that only remotely resembles a basketball game, exactly what is it that you are trying to teach the children? If things go wrong, make sure you find someone else to blame?

I want you to try and picture something in your mind. Imagine how that game would look if the referees called each and every foul, and each and every violation, that occurred in the game. I'd be willing to bet that you couldn't go more than 20-30 seconds without having a whistle blow. And then you could start yelling "come on, they're just kids, let them play" instead of "moving pick, moving pick!!"

Honest to God, sir, you need to take a really hard look at yourself. You are so obsessed with making sure your daughter's team wins that you take the time to post video from a grade-school basketball game so you can tell someone "yeah, I asked some real referees, and they say we got cheated." And please don't come back with that "we just want a fair shake" baloney. I'm sure that for every "moving pick" that was missed against the other team, there were countless travels, double dribbles, 3-seconds, lane violations, etc., etc. that your team got away with as well. That's how it works when LITTLE CHILDREN play basketball. It isn't about winning. It's about learning.

What are YOU teaching them???