View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 01:37am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
There is absolutely no reason for any official, of any sport, at any level to consume alcohol prior to working a game that day.

None................
Weeelllllll. I do know of a specific situation where in a playoff football game where an official had a heart attack. There happened to be an experienced official that was watching not intending on working went to a resturant before the game and had a couple of beers. Well he was asked to sub in for the official that had the heart attack. He told the crew his situation and even school officials and the accepted him to work. After all they asked him. I am not sure your position works for all situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
If I am in the locker room and I detect alcohol on the breath of a partner, he/she isn't working. If he/she insists, then I tell him I am going to notify the game administrator, AD, coach and/or whomever else I can think of that the partner in quetion has alcohol on his/her breath.

If the guy/gal, is that dumb enough to try to work the game after that, then they deserve the subsequent forfeiture of their license.
So you are going to make someone not work because you "think" you smell something? What if the official denies it? What if you are wrong? I understand that you want to take a hard line here, but you better be right or able to prove it. Because is all you smell is something you think is alcohol and it is not alcohol, that might be a bigger problem. I agree I would be concerned, but not sure you can deny someone working just because of what you think.

Peace