View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
If a player gains possession of the ball while sliding, he does not have a pivot foot per se. Touching the floor with a foot/feet while sliding or after completing the slide is not considered as being traveling. What they are restricted from doing while lying on the floor after coming to a stop is rolling over or attempting to get up or stand(unless they start a dribble first). If they are lying flat on their back, they can legally sit-up.

Iow, forget about the pivot foot when you have a player on the floor holding the ball. Again, that player is OK unless he/she tries to roll over or get to their feet while holding the ball. That's what you're looking for.

NFHS rule 4-44-5(b) and case book play 4.44.5SitB.
I'm just going with what I have available to me, since the NFHS decided to require membership to access their online rulebooks. I thought that a lot of things are predicated on a certain set of conditions, but where approved rulings have made certain actions create some assumptions that make things easier on the official. An example would be that it was once legal to block a shot that had hit the backboard as long as it was still on the way up. I understand that it's now automatically considered a goaltend situation if blocked after hitting the backboard. I know it's very hard to tell.

Here's NCAA Approved Ruling 117, which mentioned pivot feet a lot. They use the term "virtually impossible". I can think of some way that it could go down that it is possible, but I guess they like to make things easier by assuming that certain actions mean that the pivot foot has been lifted.

A.R. 117. Is it traveling when a player:
(1) Falls to the playing court while holding the ball without
maintaining a pivot foot; or
(2) Falls to the playing court on both knees while holding the
ball without maintaining a pivot foot; or
(3) Gains control of the ball while on the playing court and
then, because of momentum, rolls or slides, after which the
player passes or starts a dribble before getting to his or her feet?
RULING: (1) and (2) Yes, when the pivot foot is not maintained because
it is virtually impossible not to move the pivot foot when falling to the
playing floor.
(3) No. The player may pass, shoot, start a dribble or call a timeout. Once
the player has the ball and is no longer sliding, he or she may not roll over.
When flat on his or her back, the player may sit up without violating.
When the player puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is the first to
touch the ball, it also is traveling. When a player rises to his or her feet
while holding the ball, it is traveling. When a player falls to one knee
while holding the ball, it is traveling if the pivot foot moves.
(Rule 4-70.6 and 4-70.1)
I suppose you're right about the feet being allowed to be on the ground during a slide. I think we've all seen a few video clips of players getting control of a ball during a stomach slide, then crashing into a camera and taking out the video.