View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
... frozen, poker faced umpire.

I apologize in advance for being the troublemaker in challenging the simplicity and elegance of doing nothing. as the senior UIC arguing for the do nothing camp, your comments are requested.
So I'm not a senior UIC, but maybe if I restate your scenario in a little variation it'll help you see why this makes no sense. Here's what seems to me to be a very similar situation.

R1 on 3rd. Flyball and she clearly leaves early. Inexplicably, F8 throws to F4 who tags second while yelling to the BU that R1 left early.
Most everybody here wants the BU to just ignore that and do nothing as they didn't meet the threshhold for making an appeal.
You want the BU to point to the home plate umpire, and call out, "they're appealing R1 leaving early." Then you want the PU to signal safe.

If a player executes an appeal and it's not my call, I'll engage my partner. If a player does not execute an appeal but thinks he has and it's not my call, I'm certainly not going to make the situation more confusing by acknowledging it.

However, if my partner were to do so, then I'm not sure what the best thing to do is because I agree that it's just going to confuse people if my partner actively engages me and I try and ignore him. I can ignore nothing on the field but that's a little different than another umpire. My best guess is that in this situation a direct verbal response to my partner along the lines of:
We have no appeal.
is the only way that makes sense. But I'm not the fellow who knows the tough ones and the veteran folks may have a better approach on that.
________
Park Royal 3 Condominium Prathumnak

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:14pm.