View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 05:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
The state patch is just as idiotic, far as I'm concerned. We don't have one here. I like having no patch on a shirt at all.

I agree with you, BTW, but we always have tried to match flag or no flag. Maybe I'll give that up at some point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I'm going to disagree with you Rich, as it shows you're properly licensed, otherwise any chooch can go to Dick's, buy a shirt and start 'reffing' which some do on maverick park district stuff. It's very noticable here if you don't have a patch. Another patch of pride is a state final patch which the lucky ones wear and it's also worn with pride. The IHSA in Illinois is a very large and strong association which requires a few things to become licensed. It may sound corny, but I'm proud to wear that patch.
I disagree with Rich and agree with full completely. And if we really want to be honest, wearing a flag on an official’s uniform is very inappropriate. We are not governmental employees and we are not in the military. And half the time we have a flag on the uniform you get into a debate as to which way the stars are going on the flag in relationship to the front of the jersey. At least the state patch represents something from the state and is appropriate for what we are doing. Let governmental people wear the flag. I am not representing the country by working a high school basketball game (or any other sport for that matter).

It is so noticed that when I have worked AAU games (which it is not required to wear any patch) in this state, I have been accused of not being a licensed official.

I also agree with the pride thing, because you often see IHSA officials in NF publications wearing their state patch. The current patch is not as big as it used to be and does not stand out that much, but if you do not wear one everyone seems to notice.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Thu Feb 11, 2010 at 05:19pm.