View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

oh, right on. sorry dave,

yes, I was responding to mike (irish), the one throwing the book at anyone who disagrees w/ his position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
Not sure who you are talking to, you quoted Irish, who is Mike. But I will pull my FED book out tonight and look at it in detail and see what it says about ruling on improper live ball appeals. I don't remember covering that section in any of my training.
umpires can ask if it is unclear what the defense is appealing. umpires should ask the appellant what and which player they are appealing. asking such questions is not coaching. this comes straight outa the CCA umpires manual. seems that not clarifying and not ruling is a cop out. doing nothing would NOT an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
Ok coming in late to this party, seems like ya'll got things going pretty good about now. So let me ask you this, on the field I got a runner past first base, and a fielder appearing to make a live ball appeal. In my umpiring mind the only thing I can see is that the fielder is making a live ball appeal of the runner missing first base, or touching the incorrect part of first base. That's the only thing I can think of to rule on an appeal in this situation. So what if we signal safe and say "They touched the base", or something along those lines.

I don't love that idea, but I don't like standing around either, although I have never seen a time where someone didn't do something in a game (I'm a FP guy remember) someone is always gonna throw, tag or run for the most part. But in my offering I ruled on what I thought the fielder was appealing, cause there is nothing else to appeal in the OP so I could see that working too, no coaching but you know I'm not calling anyone out either and if your smart if I didnt' call them out then they are still live to run or be tagged out.

Last edited by shagpal; Tue Feb 09, 2010 at 02:30pm.