View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
seth, way to step and man up. you didn't get nasty. alot of guys can learn from you.

honestly, my first reaction was to "do nothing" as well, so I am not blaming everyone's initial take. but remembering that every play deserves call, and that in this scenario, the OP is describing players expressly requesting a ruling on an appeal, got me thinking about TEX's point of view. I was appalled to see the reaction of those that seemed to gang mug Tex, because what he posted seemed to have merit, and the replies challenging him seemed empty and to lack merit.

unless there's some case study floating out there to dig up, and I can't know everything published, the ump manuals I have are very explicit on this issue, that an umpire is required to rule when an appeal is requested, and the play the OP described is explicitly appealable. an umpire can ask the appellants what is being appealed, and this is NOT considered coaching.
Out of curiousity, are you an umpire? Or just a ballplayer out of CA? How much training have you experience? Every play deserves a call? Never heard that one because it really isn't so. If a throw is made to retire a runner at 2B and the ball gets by and is rolling in the outfield, do you still come up with a big safe? Ever hear of "no ball, no call"?

Tex misapplied a mechanic to a play that is described as an appeal play that truly is not an appeal play, but simply a live ball still in play where a runner may or may not advance and the defense can only stop the runner by putting them out or throwing the ball out of play. Something I believe we have established here via the rule book. I guess we really don't need a case study then, do we?