Thread: Fight!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

First off, I would've called that an intentional foul, maybe flagrant depending on the HTBT situation.

Second, I would like to commend the official who decided to step back and let game management and security take over. He also probably stepped back to start taking a visual image of all the players who came from the bench. Some of the guys were easy to spot, as they had their warmup shirt on over their jersey.

I would hope something like this does not happen in one of my games, unfortunately it did happen in a JVB's game last week which I heard about and the officials didn't really do the technicals and all properly (from what i heard, I was not there).

This is a question I ask several different officials, including those that have seen fights break out. How do you know who are the floor players and who are the bench players if something like this were to happen, especially if some bench players are in their jerseys and not in their warmups? Do you go to the book? Even they might not know who are the current players as they just check off who's been in the quarter so far.

Perhaps NFHS might make it mandatory for bench players to wear their warmups or something to distinguish them from floor players? This would be like Pro soccer, where the subs must wear something over their jerseys. But that's because they can run up and down the sideline to warm up before going in, and it could get confusing for players as to who is on the field and who is not.

ADDED: One last thing. I'd like to commend the white team for not having a single player come from the bench. I took a closer look at the end of the video and it looks like the original 5 players were the only on the court, no one from the white team (except maybe for coaches to come in and help break the fight) .