Thread: update
View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Why are some people afraid of getting beat down the court? It's not a bad thing as long as you are hustling. I'm not referring to the specific play at the beginning of the thread, just in general. When I work trail, I always try to take a step to the basket as the shot goes up or as A drives the lane to provide backside help to the lead. On occasion, a long rebound or a clean strip and outlet pass, I'll get beat. As was previously mentioned, try to get the angle. I also try to stop so that I'm not moving when I need to make a call (I find I can see things more clearly when my head isn't moving). I've read numerous articles in Referee magazine that lead me to this philosophy. I think the chance of missing a backside call on the other end outweigh the chance of blowing a call by being beat on a fast break. Who can keep up with most of these kids anyway? As a whole, people are to quick to blame officials for the game not going there way. We are the only ones on the court who don't care who wins. People are always going to disagree with calls; it's the nature of the contest. Officials make mistakes, even good ones. Have you ever heard a coach complain when a call goes their way. Even once? How's this, "Mr. Referee, the defender got all ball on that block, give my oponent the ball OOB instead of me taking these unwarranted free throws." More games are lost by bad passes than bad calls.

Now if the official was not hustling or making calls out of their area or not in position the majority of the time, then he/she probably doesn't deserve to be at that level. Bring it up to the AD / Commish / Assignor and let them handle it. At the least, the official will know what the perception of his/her abilities are and will either try to improve or not.

Mregor