View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 09:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
How far does it go? Should Hartzell be forced to give up working D-I basketball cause he's an AD at a D-I school?
For the record Hartzell left UNI a few years later.

Also a side note to that story. The commentator that raised that issue was ESPN analyst Doug Gottlieb. I actually knew Hartzell's wife as she was an official too and she worked games in front of me at the JUCO level on the Women's side. Well I ran into his wife a few years back at the Big Ten Tournament. She told me that Hartzell took an article in which Referee Magazine wrote about him and the Gottlieb created controversy and Gottlieb was working a game as an analyst. Well Rick Hartzell was officiating and Rick went up to Gottlieb with the article and gave it to Gottlieb before the game started. I guess Gottlieb did not have a lot to say at that point from what I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
And if you look at subvarsity, many schools hire district teachers and local residents to work those games. Nobody bats an eye at that.
I agree. Lower levels cannot have the same standard as a varsity contest or in some cases you might not have officials if such a policy were to outlaw anyone that knows anyone or is related to anyone in a lower level game.

Peace