View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, I'm a recovering hand jobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I don't think it's any more useful with the comments than without, but I never tried it alone, so I can't say for sure. I frankly think "i've had enough" just reinforces the dismissiveness of it. "I've had enough" is nothing more than a polite euphamism for "STFU." Adding "the hand" to it is just inviting the lava, IMO.

Again, there are those I respect in here who disagree with me, so obviously YMMV.
When I first started officiating I needed a well defined method of dealing with the coaches. I was like many new officials in that I had no game management skills other then having thoughts of punching them in the face.

So the stop sign served its purpose for awhile. It was like step 2 in the whole process of dealing with the idiots. DO I think it inflamed the coaches, Yes. But it also let me practice giving T's due to them getting inflamed even more, so that was the good that came out of it.

Now I don't use the stop sign.

If it's a persistent thing I'll try and communicate with them but if they're being buttheads I move on. And when I've had enough they get their richly earned T's.

I have a very small rep of being a little quick on the trigger. Good. I like my rep. I think in our area the refs take way too much crap from the coaches.

Having said all that, 3 player T's, 3 coach T's, and 1 coach ejection this year.
That just doesn't seem all that unreasonable for about 45 Varsity games.