View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

I'm "younger" too, and from my experience there is no bigger tool you can have than knowing the rules. It'll take a long time to learn all of the one offs discussed in this board, but really get your head in the book and know the rules that are most prevalent to the game and that coach's commonly complain about. If you have not experienced it already, coach's complaints tend to revolve around traveling, lane violations, and most commonly fouls.

If you can recite a few rules and show that your calls are justified by correctly applying said rules, you'll gain instant credibility.

Use definitive terms like: legal guarding position, displacement, and suspension of the three second count. Coach's realize that either, a) you know what you are talking about or b) that they might not know what they are talking about.

I think talking with coaches willhelp you gain credibility as long as they are willing to test you with a QUESTION. As said earlier, complaints and commands don't warrant a response. Of course if you don't know a certain rule, you will have to stick with your favorite blanket statement provided earlier.