View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaddict View Post
I'm hoping some of the vets on here can give me some advice. I am turning 21 in April doing JV/Freshman games and tend to think that coaches get on me a little more than your average official because of my age. Considering I really can pass for about 16 or 17. What are some good pointers to dealing with coaches? I had to give a coach a "T" tonight in boys freshman game after he stood up and walked toward me whinning for a travel call. In retrospect I wish I could have dealt with it different and not have given the T there. One thing I think I could have done was ask the coach he if wanted a full or a thirty. What are your thoughts?

Also another question tonight I ref'd with a official who had less experience then I do and to say the least the guy wasn't much help with game management. How do you deal with partners that tend to be a little weaker then you are while you your self our still working towards gaining confidence?

Thanks for the advice!

I had a coach the other day whose team wasn't playing very well, and he was in my partner and I for most of the 1st half. We didn't pay much attention to it except for a couple of explanations during freethrows. In the second half he admitted he was frustrated with his players and had taken it out on us in the 1st half. I turned to his bench and said "I expect to get worked a little during and game coach, and I would feel cheated if you never said anything". He laughed. I think that lets them know you are willing to listen and aren't intimitdated during your interactions. I have pinned one coach this year and he knew it was coming. I treat it like any other foul, with the same emotion. report, assess, and move on. Let one of your partners buckle him in and move opposite side. This gives him/her a chance to cool down if he feels further explanation on a foul is warranted. I have always felt if they are pissed, and you are going to stay table side with your *** in there face they deserve a little rope. That's why we pre-game T's on the coach and how we will handle it. Some guys may feel different, this is just one way of handling it.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.