View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Technical or violation: Throw-in

This play occurred in the game before mine this past weekend. I know this is a violation and possibly a tech-foul, but I would like some opinions. (GJV)Team B scores a basket and there’s a press on by team B. Player A-1 breaks free sprinting to the basket about ½ court with no one guarding her. Long baseball pass she runs to it, and Team A scores easy lay-up. Below is why A-1 was open.
A-1 is at the far corner retrieving the ball (where it rolled). The L is facing the table (opposite) his back to that corner. A-1 is out of bounds behind the end- line near the far side line. A-1 then throws the ball to A-5 who is out of bounds near the basket for the throw-in. L watches the throw to A-5 then turns his back to A-1. A-1 then sprints down the court out of bounds on the far sideline and returns to the court at the about 28’ mark, A-1 is wide open, pass is thrown, EZ lay-up. The officials (2-man) missed A-1 sprinting out of bounds. She never came inbounds after throwing the pass to A-5. The T was division line table side. He would be facing A-1 running on the opposite side of the court. There was a great deal of screening/ bumping to occupy the officials on the throw-in. The reason for my post is I am wonder what the call should be if the officials had seen this?

At first I would have thought violation 9-3-3, and probably called it, but the more I think about it the more I am thinking Technical.
9-3-3, ART. 3 . . . "leaving the floor for an unauthorized reason",
The more I look at it I am thinking it should be a technical foul:
10-3-2, ART. 2 . . . Purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out of bounds. “It was definitely deceitful.”
10.3.2 is very similar to this play: RULING:" A1 is charged with a technical foul for purposefully ...delaying her return to the court following the throw-in.
A1’s movement out of bounds along the end line was to take advantage of the screen and return to the court in a more advantageous position."
I know from reading past posts here this is one of the rules that might need to be changed from technical to a violation. Thoughts?