Thread: Illegal court
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I worked at Westside Christian when I was in Portland. It's not that bad. You're making much ado about nothing. While it is varsity, it is the equivalent of a mediocre JV game at any public high school. It's a gym. You work the game and you go home. Were you seriously considering not allowing the game to be played? I assume you haven't been to Vernonia yet?

I can't wait till you're at one of the high schools that doesn't have a shadow line painted through the mascot at midcourt....
No I wasn't considering not playing the game.... I just asked a hypothetical about what you (other refs) would do. I then threw out an example.
AS for making much ado about nothing... I think it's only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt in one of the corners where they have 3 inches of space OOB.
I only started the thread because in my 10 years officiating I never encountered anything close to this set-up for a HS game. I worked at a school in IL that had fewer than 90 students, but they still had a gym, and bleachers, and a fully legal court.
From the sounds of it, if I had started my officiating career here, I would have seen a setup similar to this and wouldn't be as surprised by it.