View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
I'm not saying that it would take me very long in the heat of battle, although I know I tend to be a little touchy about this subject since I have a daughter who is a lesbian, and a son who is gay. So I'd call the T right off, and then be contemplating on the way to the table whether or not it's flagrant. Wouldn't take more than a second or two -- tone of voice, look in eye, reaction of the player who "took" the insult.

Furthermore, I don't like it that kids run around all day calling each other "homo" and "fag". I know the theories that it's all in good fun, but I don't buy it. Even before my kids came out, and for my other two who aren't, they know that this kind of "making fun" is NOT ever okay. There's just too much risk of hurting someone else.

Still, I can't control what kids do most of the time. But it's going to be sharply limited when I'm in charge. Just like the F word. Some refs barely notice. For others, it's automatic. For me this subject is right up there near the top of the list.
Totally understand, that's your prerogative. If I was working with you and you ran a kid for that I would stand behind you, although you would fill out the report. Just goes to show that players need to be careful, what flies with one official isn't going to necessarily fly with another, and you aren't going to get any sympathy with "the last ref didn't throw me out for that!"