View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
I'm not saying that it would take me very long in the heat of battle, although I know I tend to be a little touchy about this subject since I have a daughter who is a lesbian, and a son who is gay. So I'd call the T right off, and then be contemplating on the way to the table whether or not it's flagrant. Wouldn't take more than a second or two -- tone of voice, look in eye, reaction of the player who "took" the insult.

Furthermore, I don't like it that kids run around all day calling each other "homo" and "fag". I know the theories that it's all in good fun, but I don't buy it. Even before my kids came out, and for my other two who aren't, they know that this kind of "making fun" is NOT ever okay. There's just too much risk of hurting someone else.

Still, I can't control what kids do most of the time. But it's going to be sharply limited when I'm in charge. Just like the F word. Some refs barely notice. For others, it's automatic. For me this subject is right up there near the top of the list.
And it's not based on my own personal touchiness about how it hurts MY feelings. I had a kid call me a "lesbian" one time, and he meant it as an insult. I looked, and ran past. Next dead ball, his teammate said, "Didn't you hear him call you a lesbian?" I said, "yes". He said, "Aren't you going to give him a T?" I said, "What for?" He said, "Well, he insulted you." I said, "So?" He said, "You mean you are one?" I said, "Well, no, but I don't see it as an insult." They were all baffled! Usually, if the kid MEANS to insult, I would whack just on the tone of voice, but in this case, I think the lesson was better taught in the way I handled it.