View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRC View Post
Please help with another backcourt situation. NCAA rules. I was called for this 10+ years ago, and have accepted the turnover as a permanent part of my statistical record

I'll call myself A1. A1 dribbles along the left sideline fairly quickly and is just about to cross the division line when B1 and B2 come to trap. A1 anticipates the trap and quickly jump stops so that A1's left foot is in the front court and A1's right foot is in the back court. A1 then jumps to pass (a fundamental no-no), and his momentum carries A1 and the ball completely past the plain of the division line. But before returning to the court, A1 passes back to A2 who is in the back court. Whistle. Backcourt vioation. Life moves on.

My take. - Under Rule 4.3.3.a (quoted above), A1 and the ball had backcourt status when A1 last touched the court. Under Rule 4.46.2, A1 and the ball retained backcourt status while airborne, despite crossing the plane of the division line. Therefore, the ball never obtained front court status and could be legally touched by A2 in the backcourt.

Other than remembering this situation from 10+ years ago, where am I going wrong?
As described, the play would not be a backcourt violation. The only way I could see that being called was if the official determined the player jumped off the foot in the frontcourt, and in that situation, it'd have to be clear cut.