View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 01:32am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
the line is right where you say or imply or strongly hint that you were trying to "rescue" the game from the partners.

I can see where some might feel this way, but I certainly didn't tell him anything he didn't already know.

Even to try to take the blame is just backhanded slamming.

Disagree

"I'm not sure we saw the whole situation." "Those guys are pretty respected, I expect they know what they're doing" "Howard is our rules guy for all the little details. you'll have to ask him." "Sorry, I was talking on the phone" "Oh, I wasn't watching. Have you seen a red cap laying here somewhere?"

I just see all this as varying degrees of bogus. I did say, we don't know for sure what the call was, but the signal I saw was this, and the appropriate penalty was this. This was no little detail. If you wish to lie to a friend who asks a direct question in the name of preserving the integrity of the profession, that's up to you.

And what did you do in pre-game to get on the same page, and to be on the same page?

Spent a considerable time on positioning, coverage areas, and differences between 2 man and 3 man.

I mean, in that game, knowing this new guy hadn't done 3-whistle before, you might have added a lot to his learning by really bending over backward to see that he DID call a few fouls and that they were good calls.

I'd like to know how you do that.

End of the first quarter, if he's still pretty overwhelmed, you say okay, let's lock down in positions and just focus on the action, or give him carte blanche to call all over the floor. "I don't care where the next foul happens, it's your whistle". This is the kind of stuff I've experienced at 3-whistle camps for beginners and it really helps a lot to get over that first big barrier.

If you say this is a camp teaching tactic, I'll take your word for it. But this was not a camp. What happens when somebody gets flipped on his head before he makes the next call?

The crowd is mainly on you, but that's only because they don't understand, and you can't use it as a gauge. When one of you looks bad, you all look bad.

I'll buy this part.

In order to look better yourself, and to not be in the position of trying to decide what to say to a coach later, you have to be more pro-active during the game to make it better.

I'd need something more specific.

Also, if you really think of it as "one for all and all for one" you are so embarrassed when you see that coach, that you just wave and walk out. Don't even want to explain.

I was definitely not embarassed. Furthermore, I don't believe either of my partners was either. I think we all gave our best effort given the situation.

Nah, you did it to yourself. We don't need to. Just learn your lesson, as we all should do when we err, and don't do it again.
Your opinions are noted, and appreciated.

Lonesome Dove