View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahkarakita View Post
Girls JV. Final two minutes. White leads blue by 20+ points - it has been a blowout from the first quarter.

Very low-key game. Not a lot of fouls called, clock runs down quickly. No issues with game-wreckers, etc.

White guard drives into the key. Anticipating a shot, a blue player on the baseline right in front of me is trying to get in position for a rebound. She doesn't succeed. A shot goes up and passes through the hoop, about two seconds after the ball goes through the blue player rares back and gives a good, firm, two-handed shove into the back of the white player she was battling with.

Instinctively I view it as something that needs to be call and blow my whistle. Then I realize it was a dead ball. I have no choice but to whack the girl.

In retrospect, I don't feel very good at that call. With so little time left, the score so lopsided, and no real management problems up to that point, I wonder if I should have just yelled at her to knock it off and gotten the game over with.

Thoughts?
That's truly dirty play, you had to call it. I believe you could probably pass on a common foul at that point in the game if it is marginal, but this is way beyond that. Easy to say from my laptop, but I believe I would have done the same thing.