View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with what has been said so far and would add a couple of insights. First, I would have whacked him for the choke signal, the giving the game comment either one, probably more for the choke signal than the comment. I may just address his comment with a stern warning. The main comment I have to add is that there are a couple of reasons that this happens more often in the freshman/jv/junior high games than it does at varsity or college. First is the officials lack of confidence and experience. I often wish I could go back and work games for some coach that made me look stupid when I first started and I was green enough to put up with it. The reality is once you gain that confidence, for the most part, they seem to sense that you aren't going to put up with it and you don't have as much trouble. Also, the coaches are less experienced and try to act like Bobby Knight, because they don't know better and they have gotten away with it before. I also agree with Rich, that we are too hesitant to use the T to improve the game. I'm not saying give them at the drop of a hat, but when the situation calls, don't hesitate. Nobody wants to be T'happy, in fact, I have only given three (all in the same game, but that's another story) technicals in the last two years in varsity games and have never T'd a varstiy coach.