View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Rich about the reporting process. I called a T on a girl at camp for taunting. During the discussion with the evaluator after the game he gave us a mechanic to make sure all the officials have a chance to calm down and allows for a quick recovery of control (if it was momentarily lost).

Calling official walks to his partner(s), tells them what he has and what will be happening (I have a T on the visiting howler monkey, white will shoot 2 then have the ball at the division line opposite for a throw-in). Then the calling official reports the T to the table and ask the other coach to identify who will take the shots. While he is doing that, his partner informs the offending coach that he has lost the use of his box, then administers the FTs. Calling official goes to the opposite side of the floor to administer the throw-in.

In practice, I have found the discussion forces the calling official to gather himself if necessary. If you are working two-man it is best if you meet at centercourt. If the T is on a player, you obviously need to make sure the situation with the players is under control before you start the process and must watching the players during. It is a slightly drawn out process but I have found it works well.

And I would have whacked the JV coach for the choke sign.