View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 11:17am
Get away from me, Steve.

Unacceptable behavior....

In baseball I'd love to throw a technical now and again.

The technical foul is a tool that sometimes needs to be used.

Whack the JV coach early.

Choke signal? *whack*

Commenting on "giving the game to the other team" is a comment on your integrity. *whack*

Too many people are unwilling to mete out the technical fouls when they are deserved. In baseball, a wise man once told me that if you doubt whether you should've ejected a coach/manager/player after the game (when you haven't), you should've done it.

In basketball, you don't even have to dump the coach. Hit him early with a technical foul when he starts behaving like a three-year-old, then GET AWAY from him. (An added benefit in coaching box states is that this T brings out the seatbelt). Don't worry about getting the foul to the table right away. Seek out your partner, especially if the situation is emotional, which is likely.

Your partner should slow you down, find out what happened, make sure you get the right team's shooter and head to the right end of the court. Regardless of the proper mechanics, put the calling official in the position as far away from the "receiving" coach as possible. Let the partner take the technical to the table, if necessary, while the other team's player is shooting the free throws.

After an emotional scene, which a technical can be, game management and recovery is the primary task at hand. And the off-official(s) are the keys to making sure that the game gets back under control.

Rich