View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelof View Post

In my mind these fouls are almost always intentional. The kids on defense are trying to stop the layup attempt at all costs and don't even know they need to make an attempt at the ball. The certainly have good enough control of their bodies that if they have no hope of getting to the ball they could understand to let it go. I know we can get into a review of the plays and some (two hand push from behind) may be more obvious than others (hip check running pararel when they finally catch up to the play) .... but because this is one of the most dangerous situations that exists ... shouldn't officials aggresively interpet this rule? ..... again its not even on the coaches check list to tell the players what is proper to do if ignorance gives his team a benefit. (hack = a good play)

To me ... I would love to have an offical tell me before a game ... its a safety issue. I am going to interpet the intentional foul on fast break strictly. If a player fouls and is not clearly making a play on the ball (and he better get it) I am giving 2 shots +POI .... much less likely a kid is going to get hurt.

Cant we get the bodies to stop flying. I just dont get "these fouls are not intentional because of the low skill level of the players." That is the exact pet peave I have ..... if my low skill level 120 lb new to basketball from footbal 12 year old treats dribbling like a optional play when he charges to the basket mauling kids in his wake ... does he get a pass because he has a low skill level? It seems this is the only situation I know of where kids get a benefit for being low skill level and it just happens to create the most dangerous situation.
Sounds like you should bring this up to the head of the league and get some education for the coaches. Low level, inexperienced or volunteer officials can only be called upon so much to clean this up. If the kids are taught that this isn't how you play, the problem ceases to exist.